Yamanashi Kodomo Net

2.Details on the Different Types of Exams Required for Entrance into University

1. Daigaku Nyuushi Sentaa Shiken (National Center Test for University Admissions): This is a nationally administered examination for all students that wish to enter into university. It is commonly referred to simply as the “Sentaa Shiken (Center Test)” in Japanese

If a student hopes to attend a public institution such as national or prefectural university, then the student must take this exam. Some private universities may also require potential students to take this exam.

(1) How the National Center Test for University Admissions (Center Test) is utilized-

The National Center Test for University Admissions will be the first examination taken by potential students applying for admission into public universities. Each university also administers their own examinations, which take place after the Center Test. When deciding on whether a student will be granted admission into university, universities will use the results from both tests to make their decisions. Some private universities may use only the Center Test to determine whether or not students are granted admission (this is called “Riyou Nyuushi” in Japanese).

(2) How to take the examination

All high schools throughout the nation will submit applications to take the Center Test on behalf of their students. Each high school will explain to students how to take the exam. An explanation on how to take the exam is provided on the following page.

① The Center Test is divided by subject into many different parts. All universities have their own prerequisites in terms of what parts of the examination are required for admission. Once you have researched the subjects required by a particular university, you will then need to choose which parts of the exam you wish to take. The number of subjects required can vary depending on the university. If you need to take the exam with three or more subjects, then the fee will be 18,000 yen. The fee for an exam with less than three subjects is 12,000 yen.

*Below is a list of the different subjects available in 2014.

・「Japanese Language and Literature」
・「History and Geography」-(「World History A」,「World History B」,「Japanese History A」,「Japanese History B」,「Geography A」,「Geography B」)
・「Koumin」-(「Contemporary Society」、「Ethics」、「Politics and Economics」、「Ethics, Politics and Economics」)
・「Mathematics」-(「Mathematics I」、「Mathematics I and Mathematics A」/「Mathematics II」「Mathematics II and Mathematics B」「Basic Industrial Mathematics」「Accounting」「Basics of Data Entry」)
・「Sciences」(「General Science A」、「General Science B」、「Physics I」、「Chemistry I」、「Biology I」、「Earth Science I」)
・「Foreign Languages」(「English」、「German」、「French」、「Chinese」、「Korean」)

② The names of the subjects on the test can change, so please check the official website. The link is provided below.


③ The Center Test is administered at a local university within the same school district where a student attends high school.

④ The exam is given in the form of a multiple choice test, with all answers being filled out on a bubble answer sheet.

⑤ After the test is finished and all bubble answer sheets have been turned in, students are provided with the correct answers so that they can grade and evaluate their performance.

2.Examinations Administered by Universities

When applying to take university entrance exams, you will need to pay a fee. For public universities, the current examination fee is 17,000 yen. For private universities, the fee varies depending on the school.

Universities administer different kinds of entrance examinations. When a student decides which university he or she wishes to attend, the student must research about the kind of entrance exam that is offered and what is involved in order to prepare to take the test.

In most situations a university will offer multiple types of exams.

The examinations will be held several times from the beginning of autumn until the end of winter. Make sure to get the schedule of the examination dates as soon as possible. Some universities will decide on whether or not you will be admitted based solely on the results of the Center Test. An example is provided below, detailing a common situation for someone applying to take an entrance exam.

(1) Suisen Nyuushi: This exam has two types, called “Shiteikou Suisen” and “Ippan Suisen” in Japanese.

① Shiteikou Suisen:This is a process where a high school appeals to a university on behalf a student to help him/her get accepted into their university of choice. Whether a student gets accepted or not is determined solely by interview. The number of students that a high school can recommend through this process is limited.

②Ippan Suisen:This is a general application process. Please ask the school faculty at your child’s high school about it.

(2) Ippan Nyuushi:This a general examination that is composed of different parts such as a written test, essay test and interview.

(3) Shakaijin Nyuushi:This is an examination for people who have already graduated from school and have started working.

The content of the examination is different than that of the general exam. (For example, a student that takes this test is not required to take the Center Test in Yamanashi Prefectural University.

(4) AO Nyuushi:The AO(admissions office) Nyuushi is another process of the Center Test.

The admissions office of a university decides who is admitted based on the student’s application, interview and an essay test.

(5)Hennyuugaku Shiken:

This is an exam for students who have finished or are close to finishing two years in a vocational/technical school or junior college. Mainly this exam is for students who are transferring into a university as 3rd college students. Please check with the university faculty regarding this test, because the exam process and the time that it is administered can vary.

There are other special examinations offered for students under certain circumstances which are listed below. Check with the universities for more details regarding these exams.

(6)Foreign exchange students studying in Japan:

Students who have attended at least 12 years of school (from elementary to senior high school) in a country other than Japan by the time they attend university

(7)Japanese students who have returned from living abroad:

Japanese citizens who have attended schooling in a country other than Japan due to their parent(s) work situation.

(8)Students returning from China:

Japanese citizens and residents who are returning from China, or whose parents have returned from China. Students under this category must have lived in Japan for 9 years after returning from China.

★Once a student is accepted into university, he/she has the option to change their major without having to take an exam. This is called “Tengakubu” or “Tengakka” in Japanese.
This system can vary depending on the university, so please check with the university that you are applying to be admitted into.